This recipe for Vegetarian Zucchini Boats has been a favourite of mine for a decade. It originally came from a rice packet and has been adjusted for years until it reached its current form. With some vegan cheese and an alternative to cream, you could make it into a vegan dish. If you like eating meat, just put some ham slices on the zucchini before filling it with the rice or serve it with some chicken breast. It tastes cold to, if you want to make it ahead of time.
Vegetarian Zucchini Boats (download)
1 Onion, diced
2 Tsp. Instant Vegetable Stock
3 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 Cup of Rice (freshly cooked or leftover)
Grated Cheese (Gouda or Cheddar)
300 ml/1 1/4 Cups of Vegetable Stock
100 ml/1/2 Cup Cream
- Boil the rice according to the instructions on the packet.
- Cut the zucchini in half and hollow them out. Chop the insides for the filling. Put the zucchini halves into an oven dish. Should they be too big, simply cut them in half.
- Dice the onions. Pour some olive oil into a wok/pan and put it on high heat.
- Sauté the onions with the instant vegetable stock until glassy. Meanwhile chope
- Add the chopped garlic and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the chopped zucchini and sauté them as well.
- Add the boiled rice and stir it well. Season the filling with salt, black pepper and oregano.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Fill the zucchini halves with the rice and scatter the cheese on top. Serve the leftover rice with the zucchini boats.
- Pour the cream into the vegetable stock and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Pour that mixture into the oven dish until it covers the zucchini halves.
- Cover the oven dish with some aluminium foil and put it in the oven (towards the bottom) for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil cover from the zuchini and put them back in the oven for another 20 minutes until the cheese is golden and the zucchini is fork tender. The easiest way to remove the zuchini boats from the oven dish is with the help of an angled pallette knife.
- Make sure to remove leftovers from the oven dish to prevent them from getting soggy in the vegetable stock.
This is a super delicious recipe and can be prepped ahead of time, which is always a plus. Hopefully you will try the some time. I wish you a wonderful day.