This was another experiment gone right, which made me really happy. I went grocery shopping and bought some sweet potatoes, broccoli, lemon and wild salmon filets, Except for the salmon everything was on sale – score. When I got home I did not know what to make with any of it. Garlic Lemon Broccoli? Sweet potato fries? Sometimes I get bored eating the same thing over and over again, don’t you.
Originally I had wanted to experiment with a recipe for sweet potato samosas. I thought of a while ago and I finally got my hands on some ready-made dough to wrap them in, but somebody was fighting a stomach bug, so spicy and greasy food is not an option right now. These skillet roasted vegetables are made with some olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. I also served some sour cream with that, to spruce up the flavour. You could probably be more adventurous with the spices and herbs, I’ll definitely try this again when healthy. This recipe is very light, healthy and satisfying. If you have any leftovers, just pour some of the sour cream and a drizzle of lemon juice on it. That is one super healthy lunch sorted.
I cooked the sweet potatoes in the microwave, you could just make it with some leftovers or roast them in the oven, drizzled in olive oil, to soften. Although it only takes about seven minutes in the microwave, you can’t beat that. Unless, you possess the superpower to soften things at will. If you do, I’d like you to show me your ways.
Wild Salmon Bedded on Skillet Roasted Vegetables
Ingredients for 2 portions:
1 Sweet potato
1 Stalk of broccoli
1 Small can garbanzo beans
2 Tsp Instant vegetable stock
2 Tbl Olive oil
2 Wild salmon filets
Optional: 100 gr/ 3 oz Sour cream
- Peel, cube and soak the sweet potatoes for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the broccoli into florets and blanch it in salted water until fork tender. Drain it and put it aside.
- Drain the garbanzo beans and put the aside for later.
- Dry the sweet potato cubes and drizzle them with a little olive oil. Spread them out on a microwaveable plate and microwave on maximum setting for seven minutes. They should be tender to the touch.
- Put a large skillet on medium high heat and roast the sweet potatoes until they have reached the desired colour.
- Add the garbanzo beans and the vegetable stock and roast them until they have reached a golden colour. Watch the sweet potatoes, to keep them from burning.
- Lower the heat and add the broccoli, to warm it up.
- In a smaller skillet sauté the fish until golden on both sides.
- Season the vegetables and fish with some salt, pepper, parsley and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve with some sour cream.