A fast, easy and filling dinner that packs a lot of flavour, making it anything but another boring rice bowl. It can be served as a side to meat or fish, but also tastes great on its own.
Maybe you have seen my recipe for Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini Boats (here) on this blog I posted a while ago, which heavily inspired this recipe. This recipe for zucchini rice bowl incorporates almost all of the same flavour components- zucchini, rice, onion, garlic, onion and oregano, yet it simplifies the process. Similar, not the same, flavour without having to spend over an hour hollowing out the zucchini, making the filling and baking them. This dish can be made in as much time as it takes to cook the rice. One could as ask why even bother making the zucchini boats to begin with as they are more time consuming in the making, dirty more dishes which need cleaning and take longer. There is just something so fancy about these little zucchini boats that I will probably keep making them. When I find the right size zucchini, as hollowing out a thin one is a pain, it is the first thing I think of making.
But this dish is just the ideal midweek recipe, fast and filling without creating a huge mess in your kitchen. Win win win, if you ask me. It is also a great recipe to try before committing to the full zucchini boat experiment. You can test out the flavour, all it is missing is a little cream and cheese, without spending over an hour cooking something you end up hating. We have all been there, right? Stuffed turkey is not for me, zucchini boats might not be for you. It might not look like the prettiest dish in the world , but garnished with a little parsley and créme fraiche it doesn’t look too bad. Hopefully you will give this easy little recipe a go, as it is a smart option for meatless Mondays or whenever you have just that one extra zucchini left over, that needs to go before turning back. Believe me when I say, zucchini is no good in a smoothie. When you listen to people who swear they have seen it on TV you end up drinking a smoothie that tastes just like the Bertie Botts Every Flavour Bean with the flavour barf. I’m still hoping that was a malicious prank and not an attempt at good advice.
Zucchini Rice Bowl
Ingredients (four portions):
- 1 cup of rice (white or brown)
- 1-2 tbl olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp fresh instant vegetable stock (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 big zucchini, cubed
- créme fraiche (omit to make it vegan)
1. Boil the rice according to the packet instructions.
2. Put a pan on high heat, add the olive oil when the pan is hot.
3. Add the onion and fresh vegetable stock and sauté them until golden.
4. Add the diced garlic and sauté until it becomes aromatic.
5. Add the cubed zucchini and sauté them until tender.
6. Season the zucchini with salt, pepper, oregano and parsley and stir everything well before mixing in the cooked rice. Add créme fraiche to taste.