This Gyro-style salad bowl served with red cabbage coleslaw, pickled red onions and bell peppers and homemade zaziki is a delicious make-ahead meal for busy days. Most of the preparations can be ahead of time and you can throw dinner or lunch together in a couple of minutes whenever you need it. It can be eaten cold or hot. Replace the meat with gyro-style marinated tofu to make this vegetarian.
It’s less than a week until Christmas and people are more stressed than ever. Cleaning, decorating, baking, planning and last minute Christmas shopping will take up most of your free time, so food needs to be quick and preferably low maintenance. Which is why this is a great dish. You can make everything in the morning or a day before and when you want to eat you just brown the meat in some olive and assemble your plate. You could even pack it for lunch but that really depends on how much you like the people around you. Should you like them you may want to skip the zaziki and just add a little yogurt sauce. It is also a good thing to make when you know not everybody will be home at the same time, you can eat it hot and cold. Not only is this easy and delicious it is also on the healthy, low on carbs and a lot of vegetables. Additionally you can serve some flatbread, feta cheese and olives to complete the Greek fiesta.
Red Cabbage Coleslaw
• 1 red cabbage
• Red wine vinegar
• Apple cider vinegar
• Olive oil
1. Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and but it in half. Remove the stunk and half it again.
2. Julienne the cabbage as finely as possible with a knife or use a food processor.
3. Season the cabbage with both vinegars, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar to taste. The longer you leave the coleslaw sit the softer it will get. You can also massage it to soften but I would recommend wearing gloves.
• 1 cup Greek yogurt
• 1/3 cup diced cucumber (seeds removed)
• 2 cloves of garlic
• Olive oil
1. Mix the Greek yogurt, parsley and cucumbers in a bowl with the crushed garlic.
2. Season it to taste with vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil.
• 400 gr Meat (traditionally pork, I use turkey or chicken) or tofu, cubed
• 1 TBL Olive oil
• 1 TBL White vinegar
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
1. Mix the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and herbs to taste and marinate the meat of your choice. For a more intense flavour, cover it and leave in the fridge for a few hours or over night.
2. Put a coated pan on high heat and add the meat, the marinate has oil so no extra oil is needed. Fry it until it is brown and crispy.
Gyro-Style Salad Bowl with Red Cabbage Coleslaw and Homemade Zaziki
Assemble the following ingredients however you like on a plate. Serve it with some bread, olive and feta cheese.
• Gyro-style seasoned meat or tofu (see above)
• Coleslaw (e.g. red cabbage coleslaw)
• Pickled red onions and bell peppers
• Zaziki (or yogurt sauce)
There you have my very simple recipe for gyro-style salad bowl with red cabbage coleslaw and homemade zaziki, if you can even call it that. It’s really just three very simple recipes thrown together, yet it was very hard to write. It is super delicious and flavourful, which makes it one of my favourite things to eat. What you see on the photo were just leftovers because we could not wait and there wasn’t much left. I hope you enjoyed this post and have a wonderful day.