This tomato soup is amongst the ultimate comfort foods, especially when served with a grilled cheese sandwich. It contains no animal products, the creaminess is achieved through blended carrots which you cannot taste in the soup. You can make it as thick or thin as you like. Feel free to add more herbs or even some noodles or rice. This is the most basic recipe that can be adjusted to your own personal taste.
Tomato soup is probably the favourite of many. When made right it is creamy and delicious, with flavours that balance the natural sweetness and acidity of the fresh tomatoes. As it turns out you don’t need much to make such a soup at home, only some fresh tomatoes, carrots and a few pantry staples and you are good to go. It is a great recipe to have on hand when you have bought too many fresh tomatoes, although you can also make it with canned tomatoes. Bring on the grilled cheese sandwiches to dip into this thick and creamy bowl of comfort!
Creamy Tomato Soup
• 1 tbl olive oil
• 1 red onion, diced
• 2 carrots, diced
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 3 tbl tomato paste
• 6 tomatoes, peeled and diced
• 2 sun-dried tomatoes, minced
• 3 tsp fresh instant veggie stock (recipe here)or 1 veggie stock cube
• 6 cherry tomatoes (optional), diced
• 1 Bay leaf
• Warm water
• Black pepper
- Let the olive come to high heat and sauté the onions and carrots until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the tomato paste, dried tomatoes and fresh instant veggie stock and roasts everything for about two minutes.
- Add all the fresh tomatoes and sauté them until they start releasing all their juices and start cooking. Season with salt and pepper and a bay leaf and cover with water (or vegetable stock). Let everything simmer with a lid on until the tomatoes are soft enough to break down when crushed with a spoon.
- Remove the bay leaf and puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and a little sugar to taste. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or cream if desired.
So here you have my recipe for creamy tomato soup, which was quite the revelation to me. I once made this tomato soup from a recipe on the internet that contained what felt like the entire fresh produce aisle and it was horrible. If you cannot even taste the tomato in a tomato soup what’s the point in making one? This recipe is kept simple but can be adjusted in many ways with fresh herbs or served with a dairy product or carbs. I hope you enjoyed this recipe and have a wonderful day!