This tasty tortellini salad is a great variation of your boring old pasta salad. The Southwest dressing on tortellini with pickled vegetables and cilantro might sound like a crazy combination but it provides a great balance of flavours and textures. It is spicy, tangy and fresh.
So I mentioned this adventurous kitchen experiment a few weeks ago when I brought you my Western Salad with Homemade Southwest Dressing recipe (). It is basically a heartier, more comforting (because pasta is comfort food) and less healthy version of that salad. Fewer greens, more pasta. Italy via Tex-Mex. I’m doing a bad job selling this recipe, but it is super delicious. Pasta is a vehicle that transports a tasty sauce into you mouth with a lot of carbs. This tortellini salad transports a tasty, zesty dressing to your mouth whilst being stuffed with cheese and spinach (you can use any type of tortellini you like) and topped with pickled veggies, chillies and fresh herbs. The tortellini add another texture to you basic pasta salad and creates a little more variety. This is definitely a recipe to try.
Tasty Tortellini Salad
Yield: 2 portions Difficulty: 2/5 Time: prep 10+15 min + additional chilling/waiting time
For the Southwest dressing:
• ½ cup mayonnaise or tartar sauce
• 1 tbl chipotle hot sauce (optional)
• Smoked paprika
• Chili powder
• Lime juice
• Water (optional)
For the quick pickle:
• 1 bell pepper
• 1 red onion
• 1 chilli (optional)
• 1 part vinegar
• 1 part water
• 1 tsp salt
For the salad:
• 1 packet of tortellini (any filling)
• Southwest dressing
• Quick pickled vegetables
• Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Make the quick pickle by cutting the bell pepper and onion into cubes and slicing the chilli. Cover the vegetables with a mix of vinegar, water and salt. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before adding it to the salad.
- Make the dressing in the bottom of the salad bowl by mixing mayonnaise, chipotle sauce with paprika, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, salt and lime juice to taste. Thin it out with water until it has reached the desired consistency.
- Boil the tortellini according to packet instructions and drain them. Add them to the dressing with the quick pickle and freshly chopped herbs and stir everything together.
- Chill and season to taste before serving.
So there you have an easy and tasty tortellini salad recipe. It makes a great lunch or dinner especially as the weather is getting better. Or was better and is bleak and wet again. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this post and you have a great day. Stay healthy! #stayhome