With these two recipes you can make delicious kale salads for any occasion. The holiday classic with apples and walnuts is zesty, fruity and easily made. The fiesta kale salad packs a punch in flavour with some roasted garbanzo beans, onions and peppers. You can serve it with roasted fish or chicken.
Who doesn’t remember the time when kale was all the culinary rage? Kale recipes were everywhere online and they looked delicious. Living in Germany I could never try any of these recipes because finding fresh kale is a rare occasion, so riddle me impressed when I managed to get my hands on a bag twice. For the most part Germans like their kale chopped to tiny pieces so that they are basically mush. That you can find frozen, in a jar or ready made meal with sausage at any grocery store. So now I have been going a little kale crazy trying some kale salads and stews because it is so cold.
On the one hand you have to try the classic with apples, walnuts and a lemon vinaigrette. Why would you put fruit in a salad? As it turns out it is surprisingly nice, light and fruity. It is a holiday favourite for a reason.
If you want a kale salad that has a lot of flavour and textures I would recommend the second variety of kale salad: the fiesta kale salad. It is like a party in your mouth. No, not gross. I also never understood that expression and regret everything. This kale salad has a basic vinaigrette with olive oil and red wine vinegar, with some red onion, bell peppers and roasted garbanzo beans that offer a nice crunch as well as smokey flavour. You could also add corn and chilies.
I made both of these kale salads on the same day and ate them both, no shame there. Hands down the fiesta kale salad is my favourite because it has this Mediterranean vibe and it is super flavourful. What can I say this Spanish girl likes a lot of flavour and I am sure a lot of you do too.
Apple Walnut Kale Salad
Difficulty: 1/5 Time: 10 minutes
- fresh kale
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- 1-2 apples
- 1 cup of walnuts
- black pepper
- pomegranates seeds or dried cranberries (optional)
- Strip the kale from the stalk, rip into manageable pieces and wash it well. Drain the kale and put it into a salad bowl. Drizzle the kale with olive oil and lemon juice and massage the leaves well.
- Toss some chopped apple pieces and walnuts into the kale and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add another spritz of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil should the salad be too dry. You can also add some pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries if you like.
Fiesta Kale Salad
Difficulty: 1/5 Time: 45 minutes + cooling time
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained
- olive oil
- sea salt
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- bell pepper, cut into strips
- red onion, sliced or diced
- tomatoes, sliced or cubed
- corn (optional)
- fresh chili, finely diced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drizzle a little olive oil on the garbanzo beans and season them to taste with salt, paprika and cayenne pepper. Put them in one even layer on a lined baking sheet and bake 25-30 minutes until well-roasted, giving them a little shake every now and then. Leave them to cool completely.
- Strip the kale from the stalk, rip into manageable pieces and wash it well. Drain the kale and put it into a salad bowl. Drizzle the kale with olive oil and vinegar and massage the leaves well.
- Add the garbanzo beans, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, corn and chili. Season the salad with salt, pepper and additional vinegar if needed.
Well, there you have two easy recipes for delicious kale salads. You can’t even tell which one is my favourite, right? I am now always on the hunt for fresh kale to make salads or stews that don’t turn into baby food. Can you get frozen kale that has not been shoved in the blender where you live? Don’t worry if you have roasted too many garbanzo beans as they make a great snack. You should be worried whether you will still have enough of them for your salad when the time comes to actually make it. Roast as many as you can put on a baking sheet, you’re welcome. I hope you enjoyed these recipes and have a great day. Stay safe and wear a mask!