This easy and delicious broccoli and turkey stir-fry is the perfect meal for a busy day. It only takes about as long as rice to boil, about twenty minutes. It requires very little prep work and only a few ingredients. You can replace the rice with some pasta or boiled potatoes and add a can of garbanzo beans to the dish for some extra protein and fibre. It is garlicky, spicy, lemony and super delicious.
I know this looks like the ultimate healthy dish that all those superhero actors are eating to get into alien/villain-fighting shape and they always seem to be complaining about it. They must be doing something wrong because I could eat this every day and not get tired of it. It has a lot of flavour and it is very satisfying without being heavy. Any leftovers also make a great lunch. Broccoli is really expensive right now, otherwise I’d be making this a lot more often. So many great broccoli dishes yet so few broccoli stalks on sale. Instead of broccoli you could also add spinach and some garbanzo beans, although you want to add a lid when sautéing those as they will jump right out of the pan. Mushrooms also work very well. This is a somewhat flexible dish you can make a variety of ingredients you can find on offer.
Broccoli Turkey Stir-Fry over Rice
Yield: 2 portions Difficulty: ⅕ Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 stalk of broccoli, cut into florets*
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 300 gr turkey breast, cut into strips
- black pepper
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½-1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lemon
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear and bring double the amount of water to a boil** in a pot with a lid. Salt the water to taste and add the rice. Put on the lid and reduce the heat to medium low. After 10 minutes remove the lid and turn off the heat and the rice should absorb all the liquid in the next ten minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving. While cooking the rice, make the stir-fry.
- Blanch the broccoli in a little salted boiling water in a high-walled sauté pan or wok for 3-5 minutes. It should retain some bite without being raw. Drain the broccoli and dry the pan.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and bring it to medium high heat. Brown the turkey until golden and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and chili flakes to the pan and sauté for about a minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the broccoli to the pan and sauté for a couple of minutes, tossing it every now and then to avoid burning the garlic and chili flakes.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and salt as needed. Serve with the rice.
*Don’t throw away the stalks. Peel them and slice them into small pieces and blanch them with the florets. They are very tasty and also contain a lot of nutrients.
**The amount of water may vary depending on what type of rice you use and how it absorbs the liquid. Twice the amount of water to rice is the basic formula for the quell method. If you often find extra liquid at the bottom of the pot and the rice is fully cooked already, reduce the liquid by ⅓ of a cup.
Well, there you have an easy and delicious mid-week stir-fry recipe. It has protein, fat and carbs as well as tons of flavour. It is a great basic recipe that you can add to with whatever you have on hand. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this recipe and have a great day. Stay safe and warm!