A super easy and variable rice dish, that despite its rather boring core ingredients, cauliflower and rice (brown or white), is anything but bland. It is a great opportunity to be creative in the kitchen.
If you are anything like me, you probably want to incorporate a wide variety of vegetables into your diet. It is so convenient to keep going back to the same vegetables over and over again, that is until you get sick of them. I wasn’t much of a vegetable eater as a kid, so as my mother realized that I enjoyed broccoli (apparently a strange vegetable to love for a kid), she made it almost every day. Next thing you know I hated it for a long while. Even though broccoli’s number one fan is back, I try to make sure this never happens again. For the sake of variety I have tried my hands on cauliflower multiple times, to varying degrees of success. The recipe for gratinated cauliflower with creamy tarragon sauce (find the recipe here) has been my most successful to date. Although eating a healthy vegetable by drowning it in sauce and cheese defeats the purpose, it is a nice side dish to make occasionally. So, if sauce and cheese were not the solution to the bland cauliflower problem, then what would be?
Clearly spices and herbs had to be the solution, and for sake of convenience preferably a spice blend. In this case I used a Spanish Pinchito Seasoning (usually used to season meat skewers), which worked so well that it surprised everyone. Who knew the solution to the problem was a kitchen drawer away. If you don’t have this pinchito spice blend on hand, you can use various other spice blends. It is the one advantage when cooking with such neutral ingredients as rice and cauliflower. A Chinese-style seasoning and soy sauce would work incredibly well, too. There are certainly a few more flavour varieties I’d like to try, such as a fajita lime seasoning or a spicy kebab seasoning. Once I have tried them all, I will let you know how I have fared. Maybe you have some great ideas and let me know what you have cooked up. The end to boring cauliflower is there and I’m probably too excited about it.
Vegan Rice Cauliflower Bowl
Ingredients (four portions):
- 1 cup of rice (brown or white)
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp instant vegetable stock
- various types of seasoning and/or soy sauce (pinchito seasoning, Chinese-style seasoning and soy sauce, fajita seasoning, kebab seasoning, …)
1. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
2. Boil the cauliflower florets in well salted water until fork tender, between four to six minutes, then drain it.
3. Put a wok on high heat and add the olive oil.
4. Once the oil has reached high temperature, add the chopped garlic and sauté until aromatic.
5. Add the cauliflower and sauté for a few minutes.
6. Add all the desired spices, vegetable stock and parsley. Combine everything well.
7. Add the cooked rice, stir everything together and season to taste.
Tip: If you want to eat less carbs you could make it with cauliflower rice instead.