This grilled aubergine sandwich is not only delicious but also quite healthy. Here we have a grilled bun lightly drizzled with olive oil topped with an avocado cream made with fresh garlic, lime juice and chili flakes. Then there is a layer of lamb lettuce and some grilled aubergine slices on top. I like to add some lentil salad or pico de gallo on top, but the sandwich doesn’t need it. Alternatively you could use arugula or spinach if you liked.
This is one of my favourite things to eat, although I don’t allow myself to eat it a lot. I try not to buy avocado too often due to its environmental impact, but every now and then I crave. If I were to only eat local produce I’d be stuck eating potatoes, carrots and apples only. Eating local produce and eating a well-balanced diet with a lot of variety is kind of an oxymoron, but I try my best, I cannot even find local kale in prime kale season. Unless it’s frozen and chopped to death I cannot find kale at all. Long whining short, sometimes I allow an avocado in the house and I will make this. I would even go so far as to say that I like it better than a burger, with meat (Mediterranean Gourmet Burger and the Perfect Burger Pattie) or vegetarian (Quinoa and Bean Burger (Can be Vegan)). This is fairly healthy, but it is mainly carbohydrates (especially the bread) and fat (healthy fats in avocado and olive oil). I like to serve a lentil salad to add more protein, fiber and iron to the meal. A bean salad would also work to make this a more balanced dish. You can have this brunch, dinner or lunch.
Grilled Aubergine Sandwich with Avocado Cream and Lamb Lettuce
Yield: 2-3 sandwiches (depends on size of the avocado) Difficulty: 1/5 Time: 20-30 minutes
- 2-3 bread rolls or pieces of ciabatta or baguette*
- olive oil
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove of garlic
- lime juice
- chili flakes
- lamb lettuce, spinach, arugula, washed and spun dry
- Slice the aubergine into 0.5 cm thick slices and salt on both sides to release some of that moisture. Let it sit for about ten minutes and pat them dry.
- Preheat the grill** and brush the aubergine slices with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt and grill them on both sides until brown or lightly charred.
- Make the avocado cream*** in a food processor by mixing the avocado with the garlic, lime juice, salt and chili flakes to taste.
- When all the aubergine slices have been grilled and the avocado cream has been made, slice the bread in half and brush it with a little olive oil. Grill the bread on both sides until golden to brown.
- Assemble the aubergine sandwich by spreading a layer of avocado cream on top, adding some lettuce and the slices of aubergine. Add some salsa or lentil salad on top or just sprinkle some chili flakes over.
*You could also use thickly sliced fresh sourdough bread.
**I like to use a contact grill because it helps getting rid of that extra moisture aubergines have. It also saves time, but a regular grill or even the airfryer will work fine.
***You can make the avocado cream ahead, just leave it in the fridge covered with plastic wrap on the surface. Any leftovers can be used for avocado toast.
Well, there you have a delicious aubergine sandwich. I am trying to find an alternative to that avocado cream, so far nothing has hit the spot. Right now that’s fine as aubergine costs an arm and a leg anyway. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this simple little recipe and have a great day! Buen provecho!