Who say Gazpacho has to be white or red? This Gazpacho Verde is super refreshing yet creamy, getting its colour and texture from fresh avocado and baby spinach, providing us beautiful new variety of a Spanish classic. If you have lost your appetite due to the heat you can drink it like a savoury summer smoothie.
There is really not much to say about this recipe, it was an experiment going very right. Unfortunately that is not always the case as I have considered posting my monthly mishaps to this blog, it cannot all work. Some recipes are a work in process. This gazpacho verde on the other hand is foolproof and delicious, which are my favourite two adjectives next to free and easy. That doesn’t sound right, does it? I like to make this if I happen to have some stale a bread and avocado on brink of tragedy at home. Is anything sadder than an expensive avocado turning bad, in the kitchen I mean? Obviously there are plenty of sad things happening in this world. A liitle word of advice on the way, don’t attempt making this without the spinach as it turns into a very murky colour. A slightly greyish liquid is not very appetizing. Just keep adding spinach until it has a vibrant colour that is to your liking. Hopefully you will try this recipe and have a wonderful day.
Gazpacho Verde with Avocado and Spinach
- max 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 crusty white bread
- 1 tbl olive oil (mild in flavour) or flavour neutral oil (such as sunflower oil)
- 1 avocado
- baby spinach
- red wine vinegar
- cold water
- 1/2 cucumber, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
1. Hollow out the bread and put the filling into a blender or food processor. Leave the crust aside to add to the gazpacho later. Add as much garlic as you like to the blender, it is better to start with less and keep adding more to taste. Add the avocado and a handful of baby spinach. Drizzle a little oil and vinegar over the bread. Blend everything together until it forms a smooth paste. Keep adding cold water until it is as liquid as soup. Should the colour not be vibrant enough, keep adding more spinach.
2. Taste it and season with more salt and vinegar to taste.
3. Add the cubed cucumber and tomatoes to the gazpacho. Rip the crust of the bread into smaller pieces and add it to the gazpacho. Stir everything together until everything is covered with the liquid. Skip the mixins to drink it like a savoury summer smoothie.
4. Keep it cool until you served.