An easy and refreshing summer meal, that packs a punch in the flavour department. As crazy as cold soup sounds, there is no better dish to survive this heatwave than this simple gazpacho. If you have lost your appetite you can also make it into a savoury summer smoothie to drink.
How have you all been faring in this heatwave? I hope you have been coping well. Personally I love this heat, though sleeping I find rather difficult. There is not even the slightest breeze at night, so airing the room is turning out to be the summer challenge. Clearly nobody wants to stand in front of the hot stove right now, so I have just the perfect recipe for you. I know gazpacho is the laughing stock of the soup world, cold soup who would ever think of that? I will tell you, Spanish people who have a lot of stale bread in this heat. So if you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen but you want to eat something other than salad, this is a delicious recipe to have.You can make it in the morning and chill it until lunch or dinner.
- max. 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 crusty white bread
- olive oil (mild in flavour) or flavour neutral oil (such as sunflower oil)
- red wine vinegar
- cold water
- 1/2 cucumber, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
1. Hollow out the bread and put the filling into a blender or food processor. Leave the crust aside to add to the gazpacho later. Add as much garlic as you like to the blender, it is better to start with less and keep adding more to taste. Drizzle a little oil and vinegar over the bread. Blend everything together until it forms a smooth paste. Keep adding cold water until it is as liquid as soup.
2. Taste it and season with more salt and vinegar to taste.
3. Add the cubed cucumber and tomatoes to the gazpacho. Rip the crust of the bread into smaller pieces and add it to the gazpacho. Stir everything together until everything is covered with the liquid. Skip the mixins to make it into a savoury summer smoothie to drink.
4. Keep it cool until you serve it.