These delicious Baby Yoda sugar cookies just became the cutest edible Valentine. This is a fun activity for kids and adults alike and they make an adorable gift. Make these for Valentine’s Day or somebody’s birthday. You can leave them plain or add any kind of candy heart you have on hand. You could also add a frog gummy (careful, no spoilers).
If you are anything like me then your instagram and pinterest feeds are filled with Baby Yoda everything. Yes, I still call him Baby Yoda here because I want to avoid any Mandalorian spoilers just in case. Usually I steer clear of Valentine’s Day but this year I was inspired by the baking hack where they make Baby Yoda cookies with an angel cookie cutter (letseatcake: how to make baby yoda cookies). I decided to give it a Valentine’s day twist, to have an excuse to bake something. With this long lasting lockdown, mask induced panic attacks and the bad weather, I needed something to cheer me up a little. These fun cookies will never fail to make anybody happy, unless you are a monster. This is not just for kids and Star Wars fans, Baby Yoda appeals to us all. Best of all they are as easy to make as the Baby Yoda Cake (here).
Baby Yoda Valentines Day Cookies
Yield: 32 cookies Difficulty: 2/5 Time: 2 hours + chilling and drying time
- 150 gr room-temperature butter
- 100 gr sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 gr flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 gr icing sugar
- 5 gr meringue powder**
- a few tablespoons of water
- food colouring (green and brown)
- black icing
- candy hearts of some sort
- angel cookie cutter
- piping bags
- Cookie Dough: In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder until well combined. Cream together the butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, then add the egg and mix until fully emulsified. Add the flour and bring everything together with your hands until a homogenous cookie dough has formed. Wrap the cookie dough in cling film and chill for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Bake Cookies: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Roll the cookie dough to about 3-5 mm thickness and cut out angel shapes. Cut the head off and fix the shape with your finger. Reshape the angel wings to ears. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for about ten minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Leave the cookies to cool completely.
- Royal Icing: Sift the icing sugar and add the meringue powder, mixing everything together. Add the water a tablespoon at a time and whisk it together until smooth. Look for a consistency that leaves a figure eight on the surface for about twenty seconds before it disappears. Separate the icing into two bowls and colour one green and the other brown. Fill them into piping bags.
- Decorate the cookies: Start decorating the baby yoda cookies by icing a green outline at the top and fill it in with icing, using a toothpick to spread the icing into the corners. Repeat with the brown icing and the bottom half of the cookies. Add two eyes with black icing. For valentines day decorate the cookies with a candy heart.
* You can use any sugar cookie and icing recipe you like. You can also use this recipe to make any other type of cookies.
**Replace the meringue powder with one eggwhite if you like.
So, there you have an easy and delicious recipe for Baby Yoda cookies. You could use this method with any sugar cookie and icing recipe you like to make these cookies. It certainly is a bit more work than a basic chocolate chip cookie but the end result is super rewarding. It is such a fun treat or cute gift. I hope you enjoyed this blog post and have a great day. Stay safe and wear a mask. Happy Valentine’s Day!