This Ombre Strawberry Cheesecake may not be a cheesecake in the traditional sense, but it is no less delicious. Made with a light and fluffy cake base topped with a white and pink cream cheese and yogurt topping followed by a delicious layer of strawberry puree this cake is delicious and fruity without being heavy. Not only does it look impressive it is the perfect Valentine’s Day treat for your loved ones. If you want to be extra you can decorate it with some chocolate covered strawberries, which is supposedly very romantic.
Is it almost Valentine’s Day again? Yes, in case you manage to overlook all the flowers, heart-shaped chocolates and ravioli in the shops (yep, I have seen them) on Monday is Valentine’s Day. This can serve as a little reminder to you should not remembering cause you serious relationship trouble. You’re welcome or I’m sorry. I don’t really care for it, but it is a candy and sweet treat high holiday. On a food blog that needs to be celebrated. I don’t care for Valentine’s Day but I care for cake, somebody put that on a t-shirt. I have not made this cake in years because it is a lot of work. I know you won’t believe me reading the recipe, but I have made it a lot easier than it used to be. It is red on top so it ticks the Valentine’s Day box, but you can also whip it out on Mother’s Day. Have you noticed that all Mother’s Day stuff looks just like the Valentine’s Day leftovers? This cake can be made with all sorts of fruit, so it is very customisable. Mango and lime is certainly calling my name, but it is not romantic. I tried really hard and made chocolate covered strawberries. This may be an unpopular opinion but they really don’t taste that great.
Ombre Strawberry Cheesecake
Yield: 20 cm cake Difficulty: 2/5 Time: 3 hours + time to chill
- 100 gr flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 gr sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100 gr softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 500 gr frozen strawberries
- 250 gr sugar
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 250 gr full fat Greek yogurt
- 250 gr cream cheese or mascarpone
- 75-100 gr + 1 tbl sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 45 gr instant gelatine powder*
- Make the cake by preheating the oven to 160°C top and bottom heating. Grease a round cake tin or spring form and sprinkle with a little bit of flour.
- Mix the flour and baking in a bowl and set it aside. Mix the butter, sugar and salt together until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, stirring in between to emulsify. Add the vanilla. Fold the baking powder under until it is fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the cake mold and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely. Cut off the dome and turn it over for cake assembly with a cake ring.
- Make the strawberry sauce by adding the strawberries, sugar, lemon zest and juice to a pot and cooking it until the strawberries are soft. Puree with an immersion blender and pass it through a strainer to remove all the seeds. Put the sauce back in the pot and thicken it with a cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mixed with a little cold water) on medium high heat. Set the sauce aside to cool.
- Make the strawberry cream cheese cream by mixing the Greek yogurt, cream cheese of choice, salt, lemon juice, salt and vanilla. Separate the mixture into two bowls.
- Mix 30 gr of the instant gelatine with the sugar. Add half to one of the bowls that will be the white layer and mix until smooth.
- Add the white cream on top of the cake and spread it into an even layer with an offset spatula. Let it set for about 30 minutes in the fridge before making the pink layer.
- For the pink layer mix the white cream with about 50 ml strawberry sauce and the gelatine sugar until a smooth pink cream forms and spread it over the white layer. Let it set in the fridge.
- For the strawberry layer mix 250 ml strawberry with 15 gr of instant gelatine mixed with about 1 tbl sugar. Mix until smooth and spread on top of the pink layer and let it set in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Before serving, run a knife along the edge of the cake ring and remove it.
*If you don’t have access to instant gelatine you can also use powdered gelatine or even agar agar, then you have to follow packet instructions on how to proceed.
Well, there you have an easy and delicious ombre strawberry cheesecake. This cake will certainly make a loved one or yourself very happy. How is someone else supposed to love you if you don’t love yourself? It is also a very pretty cake that requires zero creative skill, which are my favourite types of cake. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this recipe and have a great weekend. Happy Valentine’s Day!